On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 05:53:14PM -0500, songbird wrote:
>   i'm using testing/unstable, systemd (215-11),
> etc. everything up to date, so i'm hoping this is a
> transitory thing, but i'm trying to understand the
> pathway a message takes from the kernel to where it
> should end up in /var/log/{messages,kern,syslog}.
>
>   for quite some time the messages would arrive as
> desired in one of those files.  during recent
> testing they no longer do.
>
>   there are no changes made to my rsyslog setup and
> when looking at systemd journals the messages aren't
> there either.
>
>   so i'm not sure if the kernel itself isn't noticing
> the segfault, or if it is trying to hand the message
> to systemd and not getting through or what...
>
>   any hints on trying to get this resolved would be
> great.

Check that the journald is running. My understanding of kernel logging
is that the kernel writes messages into a ring buffer. Some program is
expected to monitor that ring buffer and then record the messages as the
user desires (to a file, across the network etc). In the olden days,
this program was syslogd, but nowadays journald is the one to read the
messages and one of the actions it takes is to forward on to syslog (so
that existing logging actions remain). However, if the journald is
stopped, then as far as the syslogd is concerned, there aren't any new
kernel messages being logged.