Hello.

I have an external USB HDD connected to a system running Debian 6 LTS.

I have tried to transfer data from the desktop intenal HDD, to the
external USB HDD.

The file manager shows as being "Nautilus 2.30.1".

>From time to time, as in this instance, I forget (until too late) that
Debian 6 can not cope with transferring data more than about 1GB at a
time; in this instance, I had tried to transfer about 3GB, to make
room in my /home partition.

The transfer had seized up, after transferring about 1.1GB of the
3.2GB that I had tried to ransfer, so, after a couple of days of it
apparently doing nothing, I stopped it, and, as the system monitor
showed a system load of around 43 (whatever that means - if it was as
a percentage of system capacity, it could be more meaningful, to me).
The system monitor currently shows a system load average of about 35.

As I could not then save any files, due to the interaction with the
external USB HDD, I tried to unmount the external USB HDD.

I then got a dialogue box, that is still displayed, which displays

"
Writing data to "hp hard drive"

To prevent data loss, wait until this has finished
befopre removing media or disconnecting the device.
"

That dialogue box has been present, with its little bar thing flying
backward and forward, for about thre or four days, now.

After about a day, the external USB HDD unmounted.

I have thence been able to save files to the system internal HDD, and,
to move files on the system internal HDD.

The external USB HDD does not show as being mounted, but, shows in the
file manager, when the "Computer" icon in the file manage toolbar is
selected.

While the external USB HDD is displayed on that screen, in trying to
mount the external USB HDD, to allow the write action to complete, I
get the error message

"
Unable to mount location

A job is pending on /dev/sdf1
"

If I try to select the option, from the non-dominant mouseclick menu,
"Safely remove drive" (as the external USB HDD is unmounted), I get
the error mesage

"
Unable to stop drive

One or more partitions are busy on /dev/sdf
"

so I can not mount the external USB HDD, to complete the write action,
to write whatever data is waiting to be written to it, and, I can not
safely remove the drive, as the data is waiting to be written to it.

Whilst it may be said that I could simply unplug the external USB HDD,
to terminate the connection, and, end the problem, from memory, in so
doing, in the past, external USB HDD's are thence rendered unusable -
written off, as is the data that has been written to them.

So, is a way available, to solve this, without writing off the
external USB HDD, and the data that has been written to it, and, the
data that is "floating in the ether", waiting to be written to it?

Thank you in anticipation, for a solution.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."