On Monday 27 July 2015 10:48:21 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Monday 27 July 2015 14:58:58 Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I am in the process of building up an old MSI K8M890M2-V
> > motherboard, with an Athlon 64X2 at 3.8Ghz on it, to be used for cnc
> > machine control, and while I finally did get networking up and
> > running, I was amazed to find that udev would create an eth0 on
> > finding an 8139too on the motherboard, this is in dmesg, but then
> > renames it to eth5!  Fixing my /etc/network/interfaces file to bring
> > up eth5 made it work normally.
> >
> > But call me bumfuzzled by that remaning, what genius thought that
> > was a good idea?
> >
> > And I've not found an entry in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net
> > that would explain it.  Can someone advise as to the reasoning for
> > that?
>
> It is counting the networks cards that it has met since it was
> installed, I think.  If it bothers you, try reinstalling.

I would much druther find and zero out where it keeps that count but
since I have it working, it can be one of those things I do after I make
a run of round tuit's I've been pomising folks for yonks.

This drive has now been in at least 4 systems, looking for one with
enough iron & memory to do this job.  I think I've found it, but the
board is rated for up to 400 Mhz memory, but 512k 400Mhz DDR PC3200
doesn't work.  I have some new 1Gb, 400 Mhz stuff coming by piper cub
tomorrow in case what I have is defective.  Its currently running fine
with only half a gig of 266Ghz DDR in it, so I am working on
configuration stuffs ATM.

Thanks Lisi.

> Lisi

Cheers, Gene Heskett