Hi,

David Wright wrote:
> An important file is /etc/console-setup/cached_UTF-8_del.kmap.gz
> What I haven't worked out is: what puts this cache file together?
> It's obviously been constructed because near the end it says:
> # The content of this file will be appended to the keyboard layout.
> followed by commented examples of changes one might make.
> Where was the so-called "this file" found when this cache was
> constructed?

On Debian 8.1:

  # fgrep -r 'will be appended to the keyboard layout' /etc

yields

  /etc/console-setup/remap.inc:# The content of this file will be appended to
the keyboard layout.

remap.inc looks like the tail of my cached_UTF-8_del.kmap.gz.

  # fgrep -r 'remap.inc' /usr

  /usr/bin/ckbcomp:my $file1 = "/etc/console-setup/remap.inc";
  /usr/bin/ckbcomp:my $file2 = "$installdir/etc/console-setup/remap.inc";

David Wright wrote in "How come i wrote a NO-BREAK SPACE in xterm+bash ?":
> I don't want
> X's involvement, except in as much as it shares configuration files
> like /etc/default/keyboard.

I understand from man 5 keyboard that this file is part of X.
But /usr/bin/ckbcomp is a perl script which in its header
talks of "loadkeys", which is a kernel thing.

When experimenting with XKB, did you take into respect the statement
about
  udevadm trigger --subsystem-match=input --action=change
in man 5 keyboard ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas