> I don't see Debian doing anything wrong. fdisk showing a 2.3T
> partition I am assuming comes on your Arch Linux disk and is a result
> of it using the wrong block size. I'm not sure if this is due to the
> use of a USB adapter.
>
> mdadm -E /dev/sdb should fail because /dev/sdb is not a RAID device.
> mdadm -E /dev/sdb1 should work.

Hi,

I tried it on debian Jessie (different machine) and ended up with the same
results as on Archlinux - shuffled partition table, no md super block... This
however didn't explained how then debian can boot at all when connected
directly. So I bought new USB adapter and that was it, end of the story, debian
didn't do anything wrong, all this fuss was caused by the malfunctioning USB
adapter.

Thank you for your time.

Narūnas