On 2015-12-23 at 16:48, Doug wrote:

> On 12/23/2015 01:45 AM, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
>
>> I installed TexLive recently and during one of the upgrades, the
>> entire texdoc package got installed too.  that is humoungous and
>> I'd like to remove the doc packages alone and also stop future
>> installs of the same type whenever I Upgrade TexLive.
>>
>> Could someone please suggest a way?  I'm on debian test release, if
>> that is of any help.
>
> If the .doc packages are all in one directory, then it's easy: when
> you're in that directory, issue: rm -fr *.doc or if they are called
> .txt, then use that-- whatever suffix the files use.

This is not a way to remove a package. It is a way to delete files which
were installed by a package (and won't work correctly even for that in
this case, since this package's files not only use multiple file
extensions but are spread throughout a fairly sizable directory tree),
but is not recommended in pretty much any case.

It will also not prevent the package's files from getting reinstalled
later on, so it doesn't really address the question which was asked.

The correct approach would be to remove the appropriate texlive-lang-*
package (e.g., texlive-lang-english) which contains the documentation,
using e.g. 'apt-get remove texlive-lang-english', and then blacklist the
package from being installed using the method suggested by Osamu Aoki.

(There is no 'texlive-doc' package in current testing as far as I can
see, and the 'texlive-doc-en' package appears to be a transitional dummy
package; it appears to be superseded by texlive-lang-english, so I infer
that that is the documentation package in question. Note that because of
this naming difference, the removal command suggested by Udyant Wig
probably wouldn't get the job done, at least not by itself.)

--
   The Wanderer