Hi Tony,

> What is the recommended way of restarting network services after, say,
> changing the parameters in /etc/network/interfaces?
>
> service networking restart doesn't seem to do the job properly.

Although that is the "proper way" I have noticed that other services depending
on specific network settings may need to be restarted as well.
I have had to restart quagga mostly too after a network restart.
I have made sure to connect to the system via ssh via a non routed ip address
in order to make sure I can reconnect afterwards.

Another thing is special routing lines you added that depend on an ip-address
being reachable.
Other services / settings may need to be restarted as  well.

Bonno Bloksma