On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 23:06:16 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>So it is 12 years later;
>
>has someone found something working?

This will be a recommendation which most likely nobody else will
support, but here we go...

I like having newsgroups and mail in a single program. While there's
nothing outstanding about its e-mail side, it's certainly usable, but
Forte Agent (which runs just fine on Debian via WINE) is head and
shoulders the best news client I have ever found.

When I switched to Linux on retirement (having previously been paid to
use Windows) I did the rounds of the various mail clients. Kmail,
Claws, Thunderbird, you name it. I detest webmail, largely because,
living where I do, I have no option but satellite internet access, and
that really sucks.

Whatever I've tried, I've always come back to Forte Agent. Yes, it's
Windows program. Yes, it's closed source, and they WON'T release the
database format. Yes, it costs money ($29 for a new registration).

Despite all those negatives, I still regard it as the best $29 I ever
spent, and I've been using the program for almost 20 years now.

>http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

Usual disclaimer applies, no vested interest, just a very happy
customer.

Brian.