On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 10:01:39AM -0400, Tony Baldwin wrote:
> The other problem is trying to permanently add $HOME/bin to the $PATH.
>
> I have in .bash_profile
> PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
> export PATH
>
> But every time I boot I have to manually add it again.

This is probably because you are logging in with a display manager
instead of ssh or a Linux console.  The display managers do not launch
a login shell, so your login shell configuration files are never read.

(This is why I never use a display manager.  Well, one of the reasons.)

You need to identify which display manager you're using, and then try
to figure out how to configure it as a user.  Good luck.  I've found
that most of them have absolutely ZERO documentation about this.