I have always downloaded the latest from wordpress, created a DB on my server and basically manually installed the upstream pkg (which I know is often discouraged here, but if you do it Our Way (ie. the Debian Way, aka the Right Way for most stuff), and then ask any questions on #wordpress on freenode, they get all nasty (I've been banned from the channel for life!) I make a new user on the server for each new WP site, and then install their WP in /home/$user/www . much simpler than having bits of it all over the machine. I do the same with dokuwiki installations and other CMS or site platforms, too, installing from upstream.

tony
http://tonybaldwin.me
all tony, all the time