Le quintidi 15 nivôse, an CCXXV, Jape Person a écrit :
> I really don't understand what Brother et. al. expect to gain from  this
> obstinance. It's certain that the source or close relatives thereof is "out
> there" and, one presumes, available. It's not the crown jewels or trade
> secrets. It's just a tool that makes their hardware work.

A few possible explanations:

Some paranoid legal department thinks they may incur some kind of
liability.

Part of the development have been outsourced and the contract does not
allow allow to distribute the source code, or even does not provide it
to the main company.

Some regulations require that the device should not be able to do
something (print banknotes, use radio outside the allowed range) and it
is implemented in software.

(We all know that the last point would be security by obscurity, and it
does not work, but the goal is not to make it work, it is to show all
efforts were made.)

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George