My experience has been that this whole "MTP" thing, instead of just mounting phones like they used to, as a storage device, has been a real horror show, I've given up on getting it to work consistently and have installed dropbox on my phone and desktop to move stuff back and forth, which also has its headaches and limitations, but is consistent, and works.. for a while I was just using an ftp client, ANDFTP, to move stuff back and forth to a directory on my rented VPS in Germany that I had sshfs mounted here at home, which also worked, but was a little more klunky, as they say (bit of a kludge?)

Tony