Hi, Darac.

On 14/02/17 10:01, Darac Marjal wrote:

>>> Some time ago I read that Linux 4.x incorporates the feature to be
>>> updated without requiring a restart of the operating system.

>> Some Linux Distributions have such a feature. Debian is not one of them.

> Actually, yes it is, you just need to install the user space tools.[1]
>
> The facility is called "kexec" (named after the system call to 'EXECute
> a new Kernel', I suspect). Install the "kexec-tools" package and, if I'm
> reading that page correctly, the "reboot" command will be replaced by a
> kexec call (see the linked page, though, for precautions about your
> first reboot).
>
> [1] wiki.debian.org/BootProcessSpeedup#Using_kexec_for_warm_reboots

Reading about the documentation you mentioned and researching a little
more about kexec, I see that kexec skips the BIOS init part, but it
requires a boot anyway.

In fact, I see that kexec is present in Jessie and I've also seen some
examples of use with 2.6 series kernels. I understand that what I
mentioned was introduced with Linux 4.x.

Thanks for your reply.

Kind regards,
Daniel