On Thursday 23 March 2017 11:50:33 Joe wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 11:07:22 +0100
>
> Mart van de Wege <mvdw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Jonathan Dowland <j...@debian.org> writes:

> > > This thread is a great example of why I really despise debian-user
> > > sometimes. There's no reason to be so hostile, you simply disagree
> > > with each other. This list is too toxic a lot of the time. Please
> > > either post friendly and constructively or not at all.
> >
> > I disagree. Sometimes there is no disagreement, someone is just plain
> > wrong. Catherine has been given the use cases that disprove her
> > thesis, and has been contradicting herself.
> >
> > Continuing to be nice in some misguided attempt at false balance
> > *does* *not* *help*. If someone is wrong, they should be told; if
> > they insist on not wanting to be educated, at a certain point you
> > must simply wash your hands of them. It's not nice, but it *is*
> > constructive.
> >
> > "Cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore"
> >           - Cicero
>
> But it can be done politely, and with dignity, and sometimes is. 'Good
> riddance' is not, by any possible standard, polite.

Cuiusvis hominis est errare.  Greg is human too, and had been becoming more
and more exasperated.  I can think of one or two of the highest value (IMHO)
people on this list who are sometimes very impolite.  As I said to the victim
of one of them (and I too have been the "victim"), if you can't stand the
heat, get out of the kitchen.

Catherine *had* been told politely, repeatedly, but had not been willing
to "hear".

Lisi