Patrick Bartek <nemomm...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 22:40:56 +0200 Jochen Spieker <m...@well-adjusted.de>
> wrote:
>
> > fc:
> > > Why not just restrict it to people who have subscribed?
> >
> > Because this excludes use cases that are deemed valid by the list
> > masters.
>
> Like what?

I can't speak for the list masters, but I can speak for use cases that
would exclude that I find valid:

* Posting from a service (such as a mailing list aggregator) which
  presents a single interface accessible without an email client.

* Posting by people who we want to participate in the discussion, but
  who do not (yet) see the benefit to themselves of going through a
  subscription process.

* Cross-posting on multiple forums when a discussion involves parties
  outside Debian, and we don't want the discussion balkanised with some
  people's responses rejected.

There are likely others, but that seems enough to answer the question.

--
 \       “The apparent lesson of the Inquisition is that insistence on |
  `\         uniformity of belief is fatal to intellectual, moral, and |