A virtual console (eg, Ctrl+Alt+F2) produces the correct result when I type ncal.

But if I type ncal in gnome-terminal, it starts the weeks with Sunday (which is wrong). GNOME problem, right? That's why /etc/default/locale isn't working how I expected?

On 2017-05-26 12:54, gwmf...@openmailbox.org wrote:
I neglected to say my environment. Sorry! I am on GNOME and login via GDM.

I do not use SSH and it says connection refused when I try.

when I open a virtual console, and type ncal, the calendar begins with
Monday--so this appears to be working.

The problem is with GNOME, then? I suppose Debian can't help with that?