On Fri, May 26, 2017, at 06:18 PM, Michael Milliman wrote:

> Now means that 4.9+79 is what is now installed on your system.  4.9+80
> is available from the testing distribution, so that would mean that you
> have the testing distribution mentioned in your sources.list file in
> /etc/apt.

I had just figured that out. In my sources.list I have deb entries with
"stretch", not "testing", when Stretch is released as stable, will I
remain in Stretch and not continue getting the Testing packages ?(that
is what I want)

> This is not the problem, and given the totality of the
> situation, I would not upgrade to the newer kernel.

Too late. Since it was being proposed I did make the upgrade, I cant say
for sure but no changes appear to have happened, maybe its taking longer
for the initial load of the graphical interface in general (login and
desktop), but cant be sure.

I appreciate your help and support, I really want Debian to work for me,
I bought an Asus laptop because I thought they had better support in
linux, they ship some of their PCs with linux (actually their EEEpc
originally ONLY shipped with a modification of Debian)

As another symptom I have now is for example, scrolling down or up on a
simple Libreoffice (docx) document is not smooth, it appears to be a
purely graphical issue, not something beyond that in terms of
processing, but I can be sure.

I have tried installing Mate, really I dont see a lot of difference at
all with regard to any of my issues, actually I have a problem in Mate,
it will not load the desktop background image and it is stuck in black.

thanks again,