On 07/15/2017 08:09 AM, Jason Wittlin-Cohen wrote:
You are running an out-of-date version of samba (2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u6 vs. 4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u7+b1). In addition, you seem to be missing samba-common-bin, samba-dsdb-modules, and python-samba, all of which are dependencies of samba.

Try 'sudo apt-get install --reinstall samba'

If that doesn't include install the removed packages, run, 'sudo apt-get install samba-common-bin samba-dsdb-modules python-samba'

I, too, have been having problems that seem to point to samba. Note that I am still running Jessie.

If I run 'sudo aptitude update' followed by 'sudo aptitude upgrade' I get the following:

  python-samba
The following partially installed packages will be configured:
  samba samba-common-bin
1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/1,016 kB of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/apt-listchanges", line 29, in <module>
    import anydbm
ImportError: No module named 'anydbm'
(Reading database ... 336173 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../python-samba_2%3a4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u7+b1_amd64.deb ...
  File "/usr/bin/pyclean", line 63
    except (IOError, OSError), e:
                             ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
dpkg: warning: subprocess old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: trying script from the new package instead ...
  File "/usr/bin/pyclean", line 63
    except (IOError, OSError), e:
                             ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/python-samba_2%3a4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u7+b1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/pycompile", line 35, in <module>
    from debpython.version import SUPPORTED, debsorted, vrepr, \
  File "/usr/share/python/debpython/version.py", line 24, in <module>
    from ConfigParser import SafeConfigParser
ImportError: No module named 'ConfigParser'
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/python-samba_2%3a4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u7+b1_amd64.deb
needrestart is being skipped since dpkg has failed
Failed to perform requested operation on package.  Trying to recover:
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of python-samba:
 python-samba depends on samba-libs (= 2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u6); however:
  Version of samba-libs:amd64 on system is 2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u7+b1.

dpkg: error processing package python-samba (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of samba:
 samba depends on python-samba; however:
  Package python-samba is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package samba (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of samba-common-bin:
 samba-common-bin depends on python-samba; however:
  Package python-samba is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package samba-common-bin (--configure):
 python-samba
 samba
 samba-common-bin

So far as I can tell, samba only exists on my system because smbclient is suggested by CUPS and since my wife sometime prints from her Windows laptop I want to leave it installed (is this correct?).

Trying to reinstall, or update any of the samba packages just gives me more of the same. How do I resolve this?

At some point I will want to upgrade from Jessie to Stretch, but I need a clean system before I can attempt that.

Marc