On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 03:29:09PM -0400, Thomas George wrote:
> VLC audio message: vdpau_avcodec generic error: decoder profile not
> supported: 7
>
> I have also tried playing the video with mpv which gives a different error
> message:
>
> [lavf] Edit lists are not correctly supported (FFmpeg issue)
>

> My system is Stretch. ogg123 plays ogg files with not problem but I just
> checked and found mpg321 plays mp3 files with no sound.
>
> Any suggestions as to what is missing? How to fix this?

Under Debian Jessie + icewm, I had installed vlc: No pictures no sound.

Sb. in this forum was advised to use mplayer.

So I purged vlc, used deborphan to get rid of it's fringe benefits, and
as a layman in video and sound, installed mplayer AND smplayer.

After fiddling a little within smplayer's menu, I could enjoy a film DVD,

(an old present that I hadn't been able to get working before:
   "Those magnificient men in their flying machines")