On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 22:08:41 -0500 David Wright
<deb...@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> […]
>
> >  I lock my screen manually, too.  Much of my work involves studying
> > what's on the screen without any input.  It's an annoyance when it
> > "blanks" and I have to log back in disrupting my train of thought.
>
> As you use xset, can't you just define a key to set a really long
> timeout like   xset dpms 9000 9000 9000 ; xset s 9000 9000
> to prevent it blanking? (And one to revert if you feel the need.)

I set xset for 20 minutes . . . 12000.  Works well 98% of the
time.  Never looked at the s option.  But it looks like it's for
overridding a screensaver which I don't use or even have installed.  I
still prefer to lock the screen manually though, if I'm going to be
away for a while.

Thanks for the suggestion.