On Tue, 15 Aug 2017, Felix Miata wrote:
> [...]

Indeed.  It shouldn't, and it doesn't anymore.  Maybe net-tools should
be part of the *standard* system, but it certainly does not belong to
the *base* system anymore.

*base* is "what is required for packages to be installed and
upgraded"...

> >> is not anything which needs to be added - we just need busybodies to
> >> refrain from taking it out.

https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#iproute2

It is broken in that it just *can't* handle the Linux networking stack
except for the bare minimum functionality on IPv4 (no, it doesn't meet
even the bare minimum for IPv6), and the only reason we had to keep it
around by default (consistent output that some scripts scrapped) was
broken by GNU upstream when it took ifconfig out of the bit-rot pit hell
and started maintaining it again.

So, it [somewhat recently] broke scripts that scrapped its output, and
it will give you incomplete/incorrect information because it can't
handle lots of details of the Linux networking stack...

> Interesting man page difference:
>
> Stretch:
>        Ifconfig  is  used  to  configure  the  kernel-resident network
>        interfaces.  It is used at boot time to set  up  interfaces  as
>        necessary.   After  that, it is usually only needed when debug-
>        ging or when system tuning is needed.
>
>        If no arguments are given, ifconfig displays the status of  the
>        currently active interfaces.  If a single interface argument is
>        given, it displays the status of the given interface only; if a
>        single  -a  argument  is  given,  it displays the status of all
>        interfaces, even those that are down.  Otherwise, it configures
>        an interface.

Which is outdated...

In Debian, it is *not* used to configure anything at boot time: not with
systemd, and not with sysvinit+initscripts.

And if any Debian package wants/needs it, it has to depend on net-tools.

>        WARNING: Ifconfig is obsolete on system with Linux kernel newer
>        than  2.0.  On this system you should use ip. See the ip manual
>        page for details

We should add that paragraph, yes, and remove the "boot time" stuff :-)

--
  Henrique Holschuh