On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 07:33:53PM -0500, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
> On 17/08/17 15:51, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:

[...]

> > [...] And yes, there's a wiki entry encouraging "in-line" quoting [1].
>
> Ah, I see. I rarely check the Debian Wiki because it is almost
> abandoned. I have never found something useful there. For an example of
> its state of abandonment see this fragment from that page:
>
> “You really should see _Where is the foo package?_ above, but Debian
> ships with Iceweasel, a rebranded Firefox.”
>
> But a non-rebranded Firefox package is available in both Debian 8 and
> Debian 9 (at least in the later, this is the default browse installed).

It's a wiki (hint, hint ;-)

> > That's why you shoulnd't include the whole message, but snip the
> > relevant parts you are answering to. Believe me, for long threads,
> > this tends to work best.
>
> Yes, except when nobody deletes the nested quotations (I do when it is
> appropriate). Eventually most of the text in the messages becomes quotes.

Yes, some gardening is needed. Take into account that you are addressing
about 3000 readers here, so sacrificing ten seconds of your time may
save hours in total (yes, I'm dramatizing a bit, but you get the idea).

> Also, it is a problem that one loses track of who do the nested (except
> the topmost) quotations belong to. Do you have any recommendation about
> that?

I try to stay at three layers at most, two typically; a good mail user
agent will help you keeping the levels straight. Add in some judgement :)

[...]

> Right, but here is a note about your wording: The great majority of
> people in debian-user are male (judging by the personal names), and
> moreover “he” is established as the pronoun in English when the sex is
> undetermined. The use of the female pronoun “she” is situations like
> this is unjustified.

Aha, someone noticed. It might be unjustified (don't know, can't assess
that), but it is subversive :)

But getting into more details would be definitely off-topic, I fear:
take it as an idiosyncracy. Feel free to complain from time to time :-)

> I already try to use the inline style when appropriate. I will avoid
> quoting the previous message at all in the cases where formerly I would
> have used top posting. This seems to be the only change necessary to
> comply with your suggestions.

Don't take my word for that. I might be wrong, and all that.

Cheers
- -- tomás