Hi, Felix.

On 11/03/18 01:09, Felix Miata wrote:

>> I think that before adding the file with the configuration that I
>> mentioned (/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf), I was using the
>> default driver. At least I don't have a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
>>
>> In essence the configuration I suppose that it will have been the same
>> one that I kept previously with Jessie and with which it was not having
>> problems with Jessie.
>> Currently I have these packages installed:
>> i A xserver-xorg-video-all - X.Org X server -- output driver metapackage
>> i A xserver-xorg-video-intel - X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display
>> driver
>> I guess these would be the same packages I was using with Jessie (if so,
>> I suppose I would also have installed xserver-xorg-video-intel), but
>> honestly, I don't have registered the ones I had installed then.

> A default install of either Jessie or Stretch includes xserver-xorg-video-all,
> and thus xserver-xorg-video-intel. Thus with your 3rd Gen Core, it's virtually
> impossible that you weren't using the intel driver in Jessie, and unlikely in
> Stretch.
>
> It's simple enough to try the modeset(0) driver. Simply purge
> xserver-xorg-video-intel, rename 20-intel.conf, and restart the xserver.
> Either
> it's better, or it's not. If not, reinstall xserver-xorg-video-intel, restore
> 20-intel.conf (or not), and restart the xserver.
>
> If nothing helps, try going into desktop settings and disabling compositing.
> If
> that doesn't help either, ask on intel-...@lists.freedesktop.org which is a
> hangout of Intel driver devs. Include 'lspci -nnk | grep -A3 VGA' output and
> pastebin Xorg.0.log.

I have tried the workaround mentioned by Bernd about changing the
compositor from OpenGL to XRender and during almost a month of testing
with that configuration I have not had the problem again.

I would like to point out that I made this change without removing the
configuration in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf that I
mentioned in a previous message. Maybe I would have to remove this
configuration to check if the solution is due to the combination of the
configuration in that file with the use of XRender or if only using
XRender is enough.

I will also try the solution you suggested, purging the package
xserver-xorg-video-intel and renaming 20-intel.conf.

Thank you all for your interest. Much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Daniel