David Wright <deb...@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> If the answer is many, you could shrink some of them by rebuilding
> their initrd.img files with MODULES=dep, which could reduce each
> kernel's size from ~40M to <10M.

While this will reduce this initrd size, you should also mention the
consequences of doing this:

 It only includes the modules update-initramfs thinks are needed to boot
 the system.

But this also results in two important consequences:

1) You lose portability of the system. By only including the modules
   needed to boot in the current hardware this may limit your ability to
   boot the system on different hardware.

2) MODULES=dep is a codepath less tested. In my experience this can lead
   to modules missing which are needed for successful boot, resulting in
   a failed or incomplete boot.

Grüße,
Sven

--