On Fri Sep 4 08:56:44 2020 Mike Kupfer <mkup...@alum.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> cgi...@surfnaked.ca wrote:
>
>> I'll continue puttering for a few more days - maybe others will have
>> some ideas.
>
> So were there any errors or warnings in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

Nothing there.

> I'd also check for error messages in $HOME/.xsession-errors.

Bingo.  The last line was:

OpenSSL version mismatch. Built against 1010104f, you have 1010006f

I had been seeing errors regarding openssh-server, but I saw them as
a separate problem I'd get to later. It seems, though, to be preventing
logins as well.  I figured that removing and re-installing anything
to do with SSH or SSL might kill two birds with one stone.  I tried
various combinations, culminating with

# apt purge openssh-server openssh-client openssh-sftp-server openssl
# apt install openssh-server openssh-client openssh-sftp-server openssl

The install attempts invariably returned the same error message as
was appearing in ~/.xsession-errors. It's as if there were old versions
lying around that were interfering with the upgrade.

# find . -print | grep -i ssh           [output abridged]
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/90x11-comon_ssh-agent
/etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-ssh.desktop
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssh-gcrypt.so.4
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssh2.so.1.0.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssh-gcrypt.so.4.7.4
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssh2.so.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gnome-keyring/devel/gkm-ssh-store-standalone.so
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/libssh2.pc
/usr/local/lib/libssh2.so
/usr/local/lib/libssh2.so.1.0.1
/usr/local/lib/libssh2.so.1
/usr/local/lib/libssh2.a
/usr/local/lib/libssh2.la
/var/cache/apt/archives/openssh*
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libssh*

I tried moving various combinations of these modules off to a
quarantine directory, but still no joy.

I appreciate everyone's help, but my machine has been down for nearly
a week, and I have work to do.  I have wiped the root partition and
installed Buster from scratch; I can log in again and /home is intact.
(Having /home in its own partition is a life-saver.)  The time I spend
re-installing packages and re-building my setup will surely be less
than what I've lost so far.

Once I get my system re-built, I'm going to back up my root partition:

# dd if=/dev/sda1 | gzip >/mnt/backup/sda1.img.gz

Then, if an attempted upgrade fails, I'll just restore the entire root
partition, and live to fight another day.

--
cgi...@surfnaked.ca (Charlie Gibbs)
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.