On 9/16/20 5:55 PM, David Wright wrote:
On Wed 16 Sep 2020 at 16:15:12 (-0700), Patrick Bartek wrote:
On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 13:52:15 -0400
Greg Wooledge <wool...@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 10:32:14AM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
To make a long story short, after two or so weeks of research and
numerous failed trials, I came to the conclusion that systemd has
become too entrenched in the dependency tree of Buster to successfully
convert to systvinit.
If you specify "... on a desktop system", then maybe you're correct.

For most servers, it shouldn't be an issue.
The subject _was_ about desktops, MATE specifically, not servers.

However, my trials with Buster was from a year ago.  And I haven't
tried a sysvinit install with it since. Perhaps some systemd
dependencies have been eliminated.  Be great if they all were! Init
systems should never ever be dependencies.
I know little to nothing about DEs. However, I see that there are
people who run MATE without running a systemd init system. This (dated)
link makes a distinction between installation dependencies and runtime
dependencies, so I presume that you might be able to put up with the
presence of unused systemd packages in the installation.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/279603/using-mate-desktop-without-systemd

Later:

[…] Had no problems converting to
sysvinit with a terminal only system.  First thing I did.  I always
start my installs that way and build from there.  Lighter, faster, more
efficient system without all the crud that comes with a general DE
install.
I would certainly recommend that the OP did that, rather than
converting as an afterthought.

Unfortunately, as it says at the bottom of that page, systemd-shim is no longer available.  It worked in Jessie, I used it then, but is not an option, now.

As for installing only a minimal, textbased, system and then converting -- I'm sure that works, until you try to install xorg and Mate.  That is where things start to get 'fun.'  Dependencies are dependencies.  Running without a DE, or even a different DE is not an option in this case.  I am not the only one using this box.  My wife is now working from home and my daughter's college is strictly distance learning.  (Thank you Caronavirus Pandemic.) I can not go changing how things work for them at this time.

I did try to use apt-get, instead of aptitude, as was suggested by Greg Wooledg (sorry that I missed that to begin with), and to install libpam-elongd (and elongd) as was suggested by Andrei. Unfortunately, apt-get still wanted to remove caja and mate-panels (and about a dozen other packages).  Without mate-panels, the DE is pretty much unusable.  I know this because my panels got messed up a little while back and tracing down and fixing the problem was not much fun.

This seems to leave me with two options:

1) Bite the bullet and put up with systemd.

2) Switch to Devuan.  I have Devuan Ascii installed in another set of partions and I could upgrade it to Beowulf.

I don't really like either of these options.  I have been running Debian for the past 21, or 22 years (since Bo, i believe).  I'd rather not switch.  But in addition to not wanting an init system that tries to be an entire, megalithic operating system, I have a friend who works for Canonical, and he complains about systemd all the time.

If anyone can suggest any other options, I am open to suggestions.

Marc