> Does anyone have any recommendations for units [touchscreen monitors] known
> to work with Debian?

I don't (except my laptop, but that does not seem to fit your use
case), but I would like to suggest asking on the mailing list of a
desktop environment or e.g. Xorg or Wayland. In the end, those need to
support a touchscreen monitor, not Debian per se.

In general I think touchscreen support is fairly good, because the
kernel supports a wide variety of touchscreen monitors and maps
touches to mouse clicks. I'm not 100% sure this is a good place to
check, but the source on GitHub [1] seems to give a pretty good
overview of supported hardware.

Hope that helps, good luck with your use case,
Thom

  [1]: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/tree/master/drivers/input/touchscreen