On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 10:46:22AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 06/26/2021 10:11 AM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 09:20:33AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> > > I have a empty machine on which I've done a default install of
> > > Debian 10.7.0 with MATE as my desktop. As I intend later to install some
> > > non-Debian software I wanted a local repository. To have a known base to
> > > start from I extracted the contents of dvd1.iso to a local directory.
> > >
> > > My sources.list references it as:
> > >
> > > In Synaptic when I do Edit->Reload Package Information it responds:
> > >

> > > https://html.duckduckgo.com/html?q=%2B%22synaptic%22%20%2B%22repository%22%20%2B%22not%20signed%22%20site%3Adebian.org
> > > gives no useful information.
> > >
> > > What do I do?
> > > What should I have read?
> > > TIA
> > >

> > Richard:
> >
> > Maybe earlier messages on -user ? DVDs aren't normally signed repositories.
> >
> > Various folk have suggested to you how to mount DVDs correctly and how to
> > use apt-cdrom to add the contents to apt.
> >
> > Take the DVD, mount it, use apt-cdrom to index the contents and go from
> > there?
> >
> > Synaptic may not be ideal: you might find that your use cases may be
> > better served by apt/aptitude which may allow you to better see what
> > you're doing.
>
> This group keeps reading _INTO_ my questions things that aren't there.
> I'm in my eight decade and was introduced to computers as an engineering
> undergrad in early 60's, back when they had 12AX7's and 5U4's -- well before
> 8080's. In the 80's I was writing 8080/8085 assembler code for embedded
> systems. I did not get to really get to explore *PERSONAL* computing
> (excluding a KIM, P.E.T., and Z80 based S100 systems) until I retired.
>
> Mantra du jour: "If retirement isn't for learning, what use is it!"
>
> Back in 70's I got a job with a large mini-computer manufacturer *BECAUSE* I
> had no interest in things "digital". My expertise was analog! Old-enough
> timers might recognize ML5-5 as a significant mail stop.
>
> mutter mutter mut...

12AX7 and 5U4 - sounds like some good tubes for an analog RF amplifier
if nothing else (says this radio amateur). Between you and Gene, we
should perhaps have a master class :)

apt-cdrom should really work for you. I have a virtual machine set up
which ONLY has a DVD 1 attached and no GUI yet. Installed on an expert
install and minimal. That's as close as I can get to what you seem to
be talking about :)

All best, as ever,

Andy Cater