Bob Latest wrote:

> after installing Debian bullseye I can't get sound to work. I'm using
> lightdm + dwm, and I have pulseaudio installed. "pavucontrol" ist stuck
> on the message "Establishing connection to PulseAudio. Please wait..."

perhaps the pulseaudio server is not running - you can check

> I don't understand zilch about how sound on Linux works, but my
> previous version of Debian on the same hardware worked.

you have

hardware -> kernel driver -> alsa -> pulseaudio -> application

- kernel driver utilizes the hardware
- alsa utilizes the kernel driver
- PA utilizes ALSA and provides a unified interface + capabilities

so it could be anything in the chain - check if you need firmware for
example if ALSA works (aplay etc) then check the next in the chain

--
FCD6 3719 0FFB F1BF 38EA 4727 5348 5F1F DCFE BCB0