On 4/25/22 16:45, Dan Ritter wrote:
Ram Ramesh wrote:
    My age old intel NUC with pentium N3700 is sick and needs
What kind of "sick"? Not repairable?

It randomly freezes and had to be hard rebooted.  Tried replacing power
supply and RAM and disk (all other are part of the NUC box), but that did
not work. Ran various diagnostics that I can get hold of and no issue. If I
do not use it/idle, it will not freeze for days.
Since you've been inside the box, I expect you cleaned all the
dust out -- but is there any chance that the CPU fan has frozen
or is otherwise impeded?

This really sounds like an overheating problem.

-dsr-
Earlier, I had not opened enuf to inspect heat sinks/fan. Today I did that and it kind of looked dirty. I cleaned and made sure fan spun readily. I did not take apart the heatsink to check the thermal paste. That looked too risky.  Similarly, I did not check if the fan actually runs visually. There is some noise and mild airflow when I turn on. So, it should be working.

After all this cleaning, the situation is the same. It dies randomly if I do something (like pause on some video) Only hard boot will work. So, not sure what kind of sickness it has. So, may be it is telling me to replace. Since syslog has nothing, I assume it is not something kernel can catch.

Regards
Ramesh