On 6/22/2022 1:04 PM, Person the human wrote:
I just want to get everyone's opinion on this before I request it from the developers or possibly try to add it myself.

Would it be nice if it was possible to pass a URL to 'apt install' so that a package could be installed without first downloading its .deb file? I think it's good because it can save time and prevent unneeded damage to SSDs. Even if you don't have any info to ad, please let me know what you think.

I like the idea.

I think you can now do:

apt install filename.deb

I feel like a long long time ago you had to do:

dpkg -i filename.deb

and

apt-get install package-name

But maybe apt-get could also install from debs, I just remember always using dpkg for invidivual debs.

Anyways it would be nice to do:

apt install http://domain/filename.deb

too. Wonder if there's some optimal/convenient way to handle dependencies if they're on the same server too.

Bijan