I'm living on the command line most of the time.  If sound doesn't work
over here for me since I need to use a screen reader, the computer becomes
a paperweight.  I'm glad that fix worked for you and I should have told
you to do that command as root.  If that command ever fails, alsa got
locked up and you need to locate alsa.lck in the lock directory and delete
it then run the amixer command again.  I've had that happen earlier myself
from time to time and figure it's a good bit of information to have as a
back out method.

Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com> "There are four boxes to be used in
defense of liberty:
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)

.