I ran the cpan command as regular user not sudo.  I configured cpan to
elevate privileges as necessary with sudo.  I ended up wiping the whole
cpan installation and starting over using local lib rather than sudo.  For
now it seems more successful.

-- Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com> "There are four boxes to be used in
defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and amo. Please use in that
order." Ed Howdershelt 1940.