On 4/10/2023 11:00 PM, David Wright wrote:
On Mon 10 Apr 2023 at 20:17:11 (-0400), Marc Auslander wrote:
I'm on Buster.

In /boot I keep a copy of the current working linux named by appending
-knowngood to the four files.  My idea is that if an update fails, I
have a recent working linux.  This is different from vmlinuz.old which
is the previous kernel version.  The updates in question are not to
the kernel but to initrd.image of course.

Suddenly, update-initramfs insists in trying to first update
initrd.....-knowngood  which of course fails because there are no
underling file with that name.  This never happened in the past,
AFAIK. Once it fails it gives up.

There seems no way to force update-initramfs to update the right kernel.

Perhaps check that "all" hasn't been accidentally inserted:

   $ grep update /etc/initramfs-tools/update-initramfs.conf
   # Configuration file for update-initramfs(8)
   # update_initramfs [ yes | all | no ]
   # If set to all update-initramfs will update all initramfs
   # If set to no disables any update to initramfs beside kernel upgrade
   update_initramfs=yes
   $

A workaround: change the sort order of the backup initrd files
by adding an appropriate prefix, like backup-knowngood-…
so the "real" ones get updated first.

Cheers,
David.
thanks but that's the first thing I checked - it's yes, not all. But my backup names contain the current version string.

I'm not sure about the sort order hack. My goal is to have update-grub see the knowngood as a bootable linux and include it in the boot menu. That's also why .bak of initrd isn't good enough - I need a complete copy.