On 06/07/2023 02:52, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Wed, Jul 05, 2023 at 01:14:09PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
I finally found the selector that lets me check for and dowbload the weekly
builds of digiKam-8.1.0-beta.appimage. It also could not write to an
existing directory, so I has it create a new album/directory, which it was
able to, then it downloaded the 5 new images into this new directory exactly
as it was supposed to.

This /home filesystem is a raid10, created while running bullseye.

Probably irrelevant, to be honest, for this if it works.

I have no idea whether appimages use some isolation technologies, but earlier mentioned snap heavily relies on mount namespace and thus bind mounts. E.g. when I tried firefox snap in ubuntu it was unable to access /usr/share/docs. The declared intention is to protect system against breached applications (whole $HOME may be accessible).

So output of findmnt --target for the good and the bad directories may be relevant.

Snap docs describes how to manage resources exposed to application containers. Perhaps appimages have something similar.

What is the difference? Everything else works semi-transparently including
this thunderbird for email.

Is it appimage and not the deb package as well?

Who knows: it's a third party appimage - ask them?
Hint: It's not Debian - maybe they have a changelog they can share.

Certainly it is better to ask those who provide the package.

I have found position of digikam developers well balanced. They just warn that old versions may be available from linux distribution repositories. I have seen projects with explicit statements that only their official appimage is supported.

I am curious whether digikam debian package works with particular camera (is it relevant?) for a new user on a system close to defaults.