I don't like to clutter up my download file. Since I normally use dpkg -i debfile.deb this would add a directory in the download file.

Tom George

On 11/11/23 23:31, Timothy Butterworth wrote:

On November 11, 2023, at 11:16 PM, David <bouncingc...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Nov 2023 at 18:42, Thomas George <debianl...@mailfence.com> wrote:
>> I downloaded the google-chrome deb file to /opt/

Why did you put the chrome.deb in /opt? You found have just kept it in your downloads folder. When you use apt to install the chrome.deb package it will automatically install the software into a directory on /opt.