Hi,

Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > > all of the grub menu options (Graphical
> > > install, Graphical expert install, Expert install, etc) give 2 errors:
> > > 1) "..invalid buffer alignment... " with some long number beginning with
> > > minus.
> > > 2) kernel fail to load error, presumably due to error 1

Before discussing the tanget about copying bootable ISOs to USB stick:

I suspect that something is wrong with the software in the ISO or with
the hardware or with the involved firmware.
but some maintainers of debian-cd are subscribed to debian-user, too.

to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> Actually... if you copy to the whole device (not to a partition), as
> OP seems to have done, it should work.

Indeed.
The only pitfall would be a GPT backup block at the end of the device's
writable capacity. Some software could take it as indication that a
clueless user damaged the GPT. Perky software might try to re-create
the old GPT and thus hide the EFI partiton of the ISO.

But since Zenaan Harkness reports GRUB to have started and offering the
expected installation menu, it's improbable that such a mishap occured.

> all blocks of the block device get overwritten,

Not all. Only as far as the new image reaches. That's how the GPT backup
can survive (xorriso-dd-target would explicitely overwrite the last block
by zeros).
EFI firmwares are not known to react on GPT backups, although this cannot
be ruled out completely.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas