On Nov 30, 2023, Max Nikulin wrote:
> On 30/11/2023 05:53, Dan Purgert wrote:
> > Avahi BS?  APIPA ("A"utomatic "P"rivate "IP" "A"ddressing) is not
> > avahi/mDNS (aka Bonjour / Zeroconf).
> >
> > Your DHCP client giving you an APIPA address is indicative of broken
> > DHCP, and the fix is either:
>
> avahi-daemon (multicast name resolution and service discovery) and
> avahi-autoipd (link-local IP addresses) debian packages are built from the
> same "avahi" upstream project despite their purpose is different (and
> related).
>
> There are alternatives that may play the same roles (assigning 169.254.x.y
> IPv4LL addresses and sending/responding to mDNS queries): udhcp,
> systemd-networkd. I am unsure however if all CUPS features are available
> without avahi.

APIPA (or I guess more appropriately now -- IPv4LL) addresses are a
timeout failure mode of the DHCP client (IIRC the default Debian client
is / was isc-dhcp-client).  At least that's what's running here (box
pulled forward from a netinst of Jessie or Sarge), and _without_
avahi-autoipd I can get those if DHCP falls over (least ISTR getting it,
maybe I never did :/ )

--
|_|O|_|