On 12/7/23 22:08, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Fri, Dec 08, 2023 at 09:38:43AM +0700, Max Nikulin wrote:
- IANA TZ DB does not support timezones disappeared before 1970.
   <https://data.iana.org/time-zones/theory.html#accuracy>

Ohhh, *this* is the kind of reference I've been looking for.

So, we simply acknowledge that historical clock information prior to 1970
is just not feasibly discoverable.  All of the time zone choices are
going to be flawed, for almost all of the people in the world.  We just
pick from the ones that are known to be good enough.

.
Of minor interest to me, not once in the above link does it credit the K&R Manual for C, which has a method for determining leap years. It was also used in some astronomical programs for lunar and solar eclipses. This I think was the reason that all unix times start at midnight 1/1/1970. In the FWIW dept this time formula is pretty accurate back to the middle of 4713 BC.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis