On 21/12/2023 12:33, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 10:30:42AM +0700, Max Nikulin wrote:

busctl introspect org.freedesktop.timedate1 /org/freedesktop/timedate1

Desktop environments use this interface.

Ugh.

I do not see any problem if it is considered as a D-Bus interface to /etc/localtime. Users may change timezone from GUI and polkit will show a popup requesting password to confirm the action.

I would not be surprised to find an "Automatic time zone" checkbox in GUI
settings similar to e.g. Android.

Double ugh.

UNIX got that right from the start. Now this crazy notion "the computer
HAS to have a timezone of its own" is creeping in.

Even admins may wish to see local time, not UTC in logs. So the D-Bus interface is no worse than the /etc/localtime file.

GUI users traveling a lot would be happy to see time suitable for current location. A server and a portable device are different use cases and different set of features are expected. Those who do not like system-wide timezone may set TZ.