On Tue, Dec 26, 2023 at 7:03 PM Alexander J Martinez <ajm9...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 23, 2023 at 06:19:33PM -0600, Mike McClain wrote:
> > On my RPI4b bookworm system as I was browsing, Firefox stopped me
> > demanding to update and I couldn't continue to use FF until I accepted
> > its demand and let it update. It did so then restarted FF at which
> > point it became almost totally unusable the menu bars had come to
> > black background with very dark grey text. I have tried
> > 'apt-get update; apt-get upgrade' hoping restore FF to usability also
> > 'apt-get reinstall firefox' with no luck.
> > FF was very difficult to read and it took hours and going back to my
> > buster install on another PI before I figured out how to get it back
> > to a usable state.
> > [...]
>
> out of curiosity...did you upgrade using
>
> sudo apt upgrade firefox-esr
> or apt-get or synaptic.
>
> I have never had FF force me to upgrade. Hope you find a fix to  your problem.

I think the OP's description is a bit overdramatic. It sounds like
Firefox was updated, and it prompted for a restart. It happens to me
on occasion when I update with the browser open. When Firefox
restarts, it reopens the previous tabs.

I find the prompt for a restart to be useful. What I've found in the
past is, Firefox updates, it did not prompt, and then website logins
stopped working. I'd rather get the prompt and avoid the unexpected
website problems.

Jeff