gnome setup sound output device: speakers - builtin audio

pulseaudio output device port: speakers (plugged in)

Both of the above show an audio signal when the command

mpv Smoke\ Gets\ In\ Your\ Eyes.mp3

is entered but playback ends after 10 seconds.

The mpv text output ends with AO: [pipewire] 44100Hz

and after the playback stops  A: 00:00:10  / 00:03:23 (5%)

For all of the above alsamixer card can be set to either pulseaudio or HDA Intel PCH

At one point in my struggles the alsamixer card was set to pipewire. I can' t recover this but I never had sound with that setting either.

If anyone reading this has suggestion of what is wrong or how to fix it

Thanks,

Tom George