On 05/01/24 at 20:01, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Fri, Jan 05, 2024 at 05:52:43PM +0100, Valerio Vanni wrote:
            setpriv --reuid "$kafuid" --regid "$kafgid" --init-groups
--reset-env \
       env XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/"$kafuid" $kafdis
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE \
       /usr/bin/kaffeine --lastchannel >/dev/null 2>&1

-----
Uid, gid and display are saved and restored, so it can works also for other
users and x servers.
But with setpriv kaffeine was complaining it couldn't find .config/,
database etc and so it wasn't able to start. It seems that was ignorming
original user's home and tried to access root home.

Adding the parameter --reset-env seems to fix, kaffeine restarts.
But, after some minutes, it closes. I don't understand why.

My first guess would be that you also need $HOME to be set, or perhaps
the current working directory, or both.  --reset-env sets HOME, SHELL,
USER, LOGNAME and PATH.  That seems like a reasonable addition.

I have no idea why it crashes later.

Could it be that he doesn't run Kaffeine in the background?

/usr/bin/kaffeine --lastchannel >/dev/null 2>&1 &
                                                ^

Cheers,

--
Franco Martelli