On Sat, Jan 13, 2024 at 01:20:46AM +0000, phoebus phoebus wrote:
> Hello,
>
> >> I've always used 'ser2net' for that for of thing, mostly with single-
> >> board computers attached via serial ports on a remote machine. But it
> >> doesn't matter what the device is, it's a dumb pipe to transfer bytes
> >> to/from a serial port on another computer.
>

> Thank you for indicating the use of 'ser2net'. I appreciate your suggestion
> and the information you provided. However, in our specific infrastructure,
> the terminal emulator plays a central role due to the way our users access
> the application and reauthenticate for printing purposes. This interaction is
> seamless for our users and the terminal emulator serves as a crucial
> component in managing the communication between the server and the various
> devices, including the printer and others.
>
> While 'ser2net' may be a valuable tool for certain purposes, it doesn't align
> with our specific requirements. Nevertheless, I'm grateful for the insight
> and knowledge you've shared.

Hi,

to me it's difficult to follow the discussion. Perhaps it is
because traditionally, in UNIX, the TTY functionality and
terminal emulators s are separated entities, whereas in the
DOS/Windows world both functionalities are often conflated.

Have you had a look at minicom? You can give it a PTY at
start (this would take care of the "serial over network"
part, since your end will most probably a PTY) and you can
give it a capture file (which might be what you're looking
for, if I understood correctly).

You run minicom "in" a terminal emulator, which may be
xterm, the linux console or some of those fancy shmancy
things desktop environments come with.

Besides minicom there are other, less featureful, similar
things. They don't count as "terminal emulators" in our
strange unixy world, but they might be the missing piece
you are looking for.

Cheers