Hello fellow Debian users,

On Thu, 2024-01-18 at 12:18 +0100, hw wrote:

> Always use an UPS.

Here I have a somewhat contrarian view, I hope not to offend too much:

For countries with stable electricity supplies (like Austria where I
live) having a small UPS might actually lead to more problems instead
of less, unless you are putting a lot of effort into it. Very often
have I had problems with UPSes, e.g. batteries dying, the UPS going
into some self test mode and inadvertedly shutting down, etc.

I've had no external power outage in the last 5 or 10 years, but a UPS
often needs at least one battery replacement during that time.

Unless you have some sort of professional server rack and redundant 2
phase supply, in my opinion UPS make very little sense to the home or
small office user. Also modern Linux systems with journalling
filesystems will survive the occasional hard shutdown. Yes, I have
pulled the plug out of running Linux boxes occasionally because I was
too lazy to shut it down correctly and never had one break beyond the
usual fsck on boot.

> Always use redundancy to store data for a running system, like some
> form of RAID.  It won't hurt to use RAID for backups as well, though
> I don't think that's required when you use it for the data you're
> backing up.

Here I also doubt if this is a wise suggestion for the typical home
or small office user. RAID leads to lots and lots of complexity, that
is often not needed in a home setup. I'd rather have a working backup
setup with many independent copies before I even start thinking about
RAID. Yes, disks can fail, but data loss often is due to user
error and malware. RAID helps very little with the latter two causes
of data loss. And all too often have I seen people mess up their
complicated RAID setups, because they pulled the wrong disk when
another one broke, or because they misinterpreted complicated error
messages, creating unnecessary data loss out of user error by
themselves.

As a home/SOHO user, I'd rather have a working backup every few hours
or every day than some RAID10 wonder that makes me lose more time on
reading RAID documentation, and ordering spare drives (you've got
one of those spares for each array, do you?) than is actually lost by
not being able to restore to the exact last minute before a hard disk
died.

/ralph -- no UPS at home, using RAID1 md mirroring though