On 1/18/24 1:17 AM, Beyond Insulted wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 08:40:30PM -0500, Maureen L Thomas wrote:
> >>    .... I now have a system that works but I cannot find any
> >> utility to fix the top bar the way I want it.  Any hints?
> > Try to understand the audience that is being asked.
> >
> > Imaging that they were willing to help and stopped doing so
> > because the "the way I want it" is a way too poor description.
> >

> >> Moe
> >
> > Groeten
> > Geert Stappers

On Thu, 18 Jan 2024 23:02:21 -0500
Maureen L Thomas <silver...@verizon.net> wrote:

> I am sorry for the way I said that.  What I want is the very top bar,
> before I re-installed it had three topics on the very top left hand
> that allowed me to click on one of them and get a menu of all the
> software installed and in order according to the topic.  Like under
> internet would list all the internet software. Right now I have to
> use that dot thing to see what is installed. It is a pain.  I cannot
> find the utility to change the settings for the top bar or the bottom
> bar or the sidebar I used daily with a list of the browsers, and
> special software that is used daily. Again I apologize for the
> previous, I was very uptight over my inability to remember what I
> need to do.

We cannot all recollect all that has gone before.

There is very large flexibility as to the Linux display. There are four
major desktop environments and several derivatives of them. Some people
don't use a DE at all, just a window manager.

I use Xfce4 and its own panels, with one panel to the top left and one
panel top right, with a third tiny panel just containing an analogue
clock.

Most configuration can be achieved by right-clicking on a panel then
Panel-> Panel Preferences. The size, position and number of panels can
be controlled in that way. Launchers can be added to panels, and
applications can be added to launchers. Mostly one launcher contains
one application.

I don't know what display configuration you have, but a good start is
to right-click on whatever bars you have, and explore the menus.

The main application menu can pretty much always be opened by
right-clicking on an empty part of the desktop and choosing
Applications. This set of menus, grouped as you say be approximate
function, can be edited by a couple of applications, one of which is the
Gnome alacarte, which I use. This is not normally installed by default
on Debian, but can be installed in the usual way. If you don't already
have Gnome or some of its applications, it will probably bring in a
distressing list of dependencies.

Let us know more about what desktop environment you use, and we can
probably give better advice. Unfortunately, while reinstalling can fix
many problems fairly easily, it does bring with it the need to rebuild
the configurations of many things.

--
Joe