On Sun, Jan 14, 2024 at 08:01:52AM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> Now, after the disk_image has arrived, it looks very odd. fdisk
> thinks it is 8 times bigger than it really is, and thinks it has 4K
> sectors. I can't use "kpartx" to get at the partition inside it, and
> fsck.ext4 doesn't like its first partition at all.

In case anyone is still following this, I asked about it on the LVM
mailing list and got some more interaction there, but it's still a
mystery.

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-lvm/9322d044-faff-597d-8cab-bf71ed7e9...@service4.ru/T/#t

It seems to be off-topic there: I think we've established that
there are problems whether LVM is involved or not, and that LVM has
no function to work around this. But it may continue a little longer
while there are useful suggestions.

Included in that thread is a full list of commands I used to create
a test case on the 512e host and move the disk image to the 4kN
host, in case anyone else wants to replicate the problem. I don't
think you'd need LVM, or MD RAID, to replicate it.

Thanks,
Andy