On 29/01/2024 04:24, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Sun, Jan 28, 2024 at 03:57:30PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
     systemctl mask packagekit

I don't think you're looking at the right thing.  "packagekit" seems
to be an interface to dbus.  By itself, it doesn't do what you think
it does.

Perhaps there are other hacks like "equivs" to formally satisfy dependencies.

In my point of view, dbus-daemon has no flexible ways to override configuration like ones available in systemd (/lib, /etc, /run). Maybe I did something wrong, but an attempt to hide an installed service failed. I tried to put a /dev/null symlink in /usr/local/share/dbus-1/services. So "systemctl mask" may be the only way to prevent D-Bus activated service start. The disadvantage is noise in logs.