On Wed, 2024-01-31 at 08:02 +0100, Paul Leiber wrote:
> Am 25.01.2024 um 22:28 schrieb Paul Leiber:
> > Dear Debian user list members,
> >
> > I am trying to run network related stuff (Samba, Zabbix) on a Raspberry
> > Pi 4B in a virtualized environment using Debian Bookworm and Xen. I am
> > running into reproducible complete system crashes/reboots due to a Xen
> > watchdog triggering under certain, seemingly strange conditions (the

Raspberry Pis have a watchdog?

Maybe disable the watchdog and see what happens?

> > number of VLANs involved seems to play a role, running tcpdump on
> > certain interfaces prevents this issue, ...). If you are interested in
> > the long version, you can find it here [1].
> >
> > Some people on xen-devel pointed out to me two unhandled SMC calls in
> > the boot logs which could be the root of the problem. I am now trying to
> > find out where these calls come from to get closer to the root cause.
> > The suspected calls are the following ones:
> >
> > (XEN) d0v0 Unhandled SMC/HVC: 0x84000050
> > (XEN) d0v0 Unhandled SMC/HVC: 0x8600ff01
> >
> > These calls happen during the Dom0 boot process, so it's something from
> > inside Linux and nothing Xen related, I've been told. The current
> > working hypothesis is that the calls are trying to find some module not
> > emulated by Xen and are therefore failing, leading to Linux waiting for
> > the reply, and subsequently to the Xen watchdog triggering and rebooting.
> >
> >  From what I could find out in ARM documentation, the unhandled SMC
> > calls probably have the following purpose:
> >
> > 0x84000050 = TRNG_VERSION, returns the implemented TRNG (True Random
> > Number Generator) ABI version [2]
> > 0x8600ff01 = Call UID Query for Vendor Specific Hypervisor Service,
> > Returns a unique identifier of the service provider [3]
> >
> > The more likely cause is the second call to the address 0x8600ff01.
> >
> > Now I simply have no idea how to find out where in the Linux boot
> > process these calls are made. I tried poking into the Linux sources a
> > bit, and I couldn't find an exact match for these call addresses, so I
> > assume these addresses are assembled from different parts. There are
> > some matches for "0x8600" and for "ff01", but I couldn't identify if
> > these matches are relevant.
> >
> > I tried to find out if strace could help, but from what I understand,
> > this is related to commands coming from userspace, so I am not sure that
> > strace helps during the boot process.
> >
> > I'd appreciate it if somebody more knowledgeable would point me in the
> > right direction. If more information is needed, I can provide it.

I would search for the message 'Unhandled SMC/HVC' itself, or even for
'Unhandled', not for the address.  The address is probably determined
at runtime and not hardcoded.

Do you get better results with qemu/kvm?  Xen is more like 'hmm' than
anything else.