On Sun, Feb 04, 2024 at 04:01:29PM +0000, Gareth Evans wrote:
> It seemed to me initially (as I should perhaps have stated) that man script
> was suggesting that csh was a component or depedency (of script), which
> seemed to be contradicted by it not being installed.  On reflection,
> possibly, it's just a way of doing things in script.  The reference in man
> script now seems to imply the latter.
>
> The fact that script scripts bash on my machine made me not think about the
> fact that it probably scripts whatever shell it's running from, and was
> doubtless written with one in mind/as inspiration - csh might make a certain
> sense in that respect.
>
> script runs in bash if run from csh run from bash, but I suppose csh in that
> chain of shells isn't a proper [do I mean login?] shell.  (Got that? :p)

You're so confused that I can't even figure out where to start!  So
let me start here:

The script(1) utility exists to RECORD a session so that you can play
it back later and see what happened.

One recommended use of this tool is to record the session in which you
do a dist-upgrade, say, from Debian 11 to Debian 12.  Then if anything
goes wrong, you can look back through the session's logfile and see
what happened, and try to fix it.

The script(1) utility has NOTHING to do with running ordinary shell
scripts.